Interesting Facts about Laurieton
Posted on 24 September 2019
- Distance from Lake Cathie to Laurieton: 18.6 km (that’s 20 mins in the car).
- Distance from Sydney to Laurieton: 362.7 km (less than 4 hours drive).
- Population: 1,986 (according to the 2016 census).
- Top things to see or do in Laurieton:
- North Brother Mountain (pictured above)
- Dooragan National Park
- Pilot Beach
- Queens Lake Walking Track
- Laurieton Plaza Theatre
- Camden Haven Cruises
- A range of cuisines to choose from some great restaurants including: Italian, Indian, Chinese and Australian.
- In 1944, Hollywood star and comedian Bob Hope, his script writer, dancer, a singer and cocomedian landed in Laurieton. They were heading back to Sydney from the south pacific where they had performed over 150 shows for troops and their Catalina Flying Boat ran into mechanical difficulties. The residents of Laurieton gave them such a warm welcome, that they were treated to the same performance that Bob Hope and his crew gave to the troops!
- Laurieton Riverwalk Markets are held every 3rd Sunday of the month and have been operating for over 15 years.
- Laurieton has it’s own oldschool movie theatre with statues and velvet couches.
- North Brother Mountain is one of three mountains with various Aboriginal legends about three brothers who were killed and buried where the mountains stand.
- Captain Cook named ‘the brothers’ in 1770 for their resemblance to mountains in his native Yorkshire. He unwittingly gave them the same name as given by the Birpai tribe.